Purpose Statement: Who We are in Christ, Facing the 21st Century
…..We, the members of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church,
in order to carry out God’s mission and move forward together into the next century, profess our life together in Christ and our desire to set forth a united strategy for the work of His church. We express our desire to continue to be a Presbyterian and Reformed church, committed to the Lordship of Jesus Christ and to the Bible as the Word of God.
Rooted in and shaped by a living tradition, we are part of the new creation in Christ which God is bringing into existence.
Therefore, we are committed to:
1. The worship of the Triune God.
2. The Holy Scriptures as the basis for our faith and activity.
3. Unity with other believers in Christ.
4. Total Stewardship of life – time, talents, and money – including tithing through the local church.
5. Excellence in education and equipping leaders for tomorrow.
6. Loving and caring for one another and for other people.
7. Spreading the Gospel to all parts of the world.
8. Evaluating and changing church structures and priorities in order to meet the challenges of the future while preserving the best of the past.
…..To this end and in humble reliance upon the enabling power of the Holy Spirit, we covenant together to pray steadfastly that God will open doors of opportunity so that we may declare the riches of Christ.
“Let us not grow weary in well-doing,
for in due season we shall reap,
if we do not lose heart” (Galatians 6:9).
Minutes, 1990 General Synod, Page 363; reaffirmed by the General Synod June 13, 2001.
What We Believe: Our foundational doctrinal statements are found in The Standards of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, which we hold to be “the system of doctrine which is built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief cornerstone” (Associate Reformed Synod, May 31, 1799).
…..From time to time position statements are written to address specific topics of concern.